Big Data Engineer - AWS and Spark
Linux Academy is seeking a passionate, certified Big Data Engineer with AWS and Spark experience to join our Big Data Analytics group and support our team and the thousands of students around the world who learn through us and our cloud technology. Our mission is to provide advanced training tools that increase skills and encourage critical thinking for advanced IT professionals. Linux Academy offers a full-featured training library with everything one needs to learn new skills and advance in one’s career path. As we continue to grow at an unprecedented pace, we need to find the best talent around. The successful candidate will turn data into information, information into insight and insight into business decisions. If that sounds like the right job for you, come join us and help build our team.
The Big Data Engineer responsibilities include analyzing business requirements and data stores in order to design data pipelines using AWS and Spark solutions. They will develop pipelines for data ingestion, data transformation, feature engineering, ML model training, validation, testing and deployment using AWS EMR and Spark (Python). Some other responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with engineering team and other big data developers to design and implement scalable, efficient and automated data analysis processes using AWS Big Data services like Kinesis streams, Kinesis Analytics, Firehose, EMR and Spark.
- Stay up to date with ML research community and apply relevant ideas to solve business problems using advanced analytics.
- Design efficient data models that feed into dashboards and KPI metrics.
- Work in an agile environment against aggressive schedules to deliver high visibility solutions that create a powerful impact on the company’s bottom line.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, data science or statistics.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experienced in building business intelligence and predictive analytics applications using AWS, Spark, ML, NoSQL data stores, relational databases and various visualization tools.
- Must have strong coding abilities using Java, Python, SQL or R.
- Must have a strong foundation in computer science including data structure, algorithms, memory management and distributed computing.
- Well versed with project management, software development, software testing and CI/CD principles.
- Must be available to work in office located in Keller, TX.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship
- High compensation with great bonus opportunities
- Three weeks vacation, one week sick leave
- Health, dental, vision, life insurance provided free to employee; discounted to spouse/family
- Free drinks/snacks for office based employees
- Flexible schedule
- Simple IRA with non-elective contribution made by Linux Academy, opportunity to make voluntary contribution by employee
- Satisfaction of helping others grow and learn
- Opportunity to work with a really exciting, fun team and roll out new projects
- Compensation increases proportionate to new knowledge gained